Sunday, August 28, 2016

Introductions

Hello and welcome to my new blog! Some of you may know me from my other social media accounts (I'm "TolkienBritta" on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and a slew of other sites). But for those of you who aren't familiar with my other blogs, or who don't know much about me (I tend to keep my personal life fairly private), let me introduce myself a little bit.

My name is Britta (just like the water filter) and I turned 26 earlier this year. For the last ten years, I have been suffering from chronic migraines. I don't remember when, exactly, they started, but I first knew something was wrong when I was 17 years old (I'll elaborate in a later blog entry).

Since then, I've been prescribed numerous preventive and abortive medicines, including Amitriptyline, Citalopram, Gabapentin, Relpax, Maxalt, Axert, Imitrex, Sumatriptan, Isometheptene, Hydrocodone, and likely more than I am forgetting; I've also been given medicines like Ondansetron and Promethazine to help with the accompanying nausea. Additionally, I've tried various vitamins and supplements to help maintain a healthy diet, but every regimen comes with its own side effects (which often outweigh the benefits) or my tolerance becomes too high and the medicines no longer work as effectively.

The purpose of this blog is to help me keep track of my migraines more efficiently, to try and deal in my own way with the anxiety and depression that often plague me on a daily basis; to give friends and family a glimpse into my daily struggles; and it is my hope to connect with, and possibly even help, other sufferers. As someone who has spent years suffering in silence, I want to start reaching out to my fellow migraineurs and do whatever I can to bring more awareness to migraines – which are so much more than a "headache".

I want to be as candid as possible in this blog, so I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to leave a comment on this blog, or reach out to me via e-mail at BrittaSiemen@Gmail.com. I'll do my best to respond to each inquiry individually, but may also use them as prompts for future blog entries.

Until next time!
Britta

No comments:

Post a Comment